Submitted by Columbia Valley Community Foundation
Celebrating 16 years in our community, the Columbia Valley Community Foundation announced that 15 local organizations were awarded over $38,000 in grants for projects in the Columbia Valley. Our grants are a result of gifts made by people who care about our community and since 2001, the Community Foundation has distributed over $676,000 in grants and student awards back to the community.
“It is so rewarding to be a matchmaker between donors and organizations making an impact in our community. People working together can make a difference in our communities”, said Katherine Harmsworth, Chair of the Grants Committee for the Columbia Valley Community Foundation.
Organizations and projects supported by our donor funds for 2018 include:
• Columbia Basin Alliance for Literacy Donor: Ann Tilley Fund/Fairmont Family Fund “Love 2 Learn” at Martin Morigeau
• Columbia Basin Environmental Education Network Donor: Opportunities for Youth Fund Wild Voices for Kids in the Columbia Valley
• Columbia Valley Arts Council Donor: Kootenay Savings/Community Fund Pynelogs AV equipment move
• Columbia Valley Swim Club Donor: W. Brett Wilson Donation Swim equipment
• Columbia Valley Youth Soccer Donor: Opportunities for Youth Fund Youth soccer equipment
• Columbia Wetlands Stewardship Partners Donor: Community Fund Hydrologic assessment of the Upper Columbia Wetlands
• Edgewater Recreation Society Donor: Community Fund Sound system for Frank’s Rink
• Fairmont & District Lions Club Donor: Gordon Wilder Memorial Fund Maintenance and enhancement of Wilder Memorial Park
• Greenways Trail Alliance Donor: Our Children’s Legacy /Kootenay Savings “Access the Valley” project
• Hospice Society of the Columbia Valley Donor: Kootenay Savings Donation Lending library Phase 4
• Lake Windermere Ambassadors Society Donor: Community Fund Summer and winter stewardship guides for Lake Windermere
• Radium Hot Springs Library Donor: W. Brett Wilson Donation Furnishings for the new Radium Hot Springs Library
• Steamboat Mountain Music Society Donor: Community Fund 7th Annual Steamboat Mountain Music Festival
• Toby Creek Nordic Club Donor: Opportunities for Youth Fund Skill development program
• Windermere Valley Youth Centre Society Donor: Sherry and Harvey Doerr Family Fund Finishing touches (Items for new building)
“In addition to our 2018 community grants program, the Columbia Valley Community Foundation awarded a total of $57,600 in student awards. Nearly $100,000 in contributions to our communities and post-secondary students would not be possible without our generous donors and the growth of our endowed funds. A big thank you goes out to our founders, donors and hardworking board,” says Barb Kloos, chair of the board. The Community Foundation enables donors to grant to the widest possible range of charitable organizations and initiatives: arts and culture, children and youth, community facilities, education, environment, health and safety, literacy, recreation and social services.
The Columbia Valley Community Foundation is a collection of endowment funds, now totaling more than $3.2 million, established by donors from all walks of life to enrich life in the Columbia Valley. Funds are pooled and invested with the income distributed as grants to charitable organizations, and students, in a broad and inclusive manner that benefits the Columbia Valley between Spillimacheen and Canal Flats. The Foundation, on behalf of its donors, has distributed more than $676,000 to the community through community grants and student awards. For more information, please see www.ValleyFoundation.ca.