Invermere firefighters battled and extinguished a house fire in an abandoned home behind Sobeys this past weekend.

A total of 19 firefighters were on scene battling the blaze, starting at 10 p.m. on Sunday, November 2nd and continuing in their efforts through until 1 a.m., when the fire was finally brought under control.

Invermere fire chief Roger Ekman said firefighters have no idea how the blaze began.

“We didn’t find anything to give us a clue as to what started it. It could have been smouldering for days,” Ekman told The Echo, adding that the fire began in the home’s attic.

The building was in derelict condition, with nobody living in it for several years, and had no propane or other potential spark source hooked up, so there is the possibility that humans may have started the fire, said Ekman, who added that the blaze was intense enough that it incinerated anything that could have been used to deduce the cause of the fire.

“Any evidence there may have been to help us figure out what might have started it was all burnt up,” he said.

After the blaze was brought under control, crews of four firefighters stayed monitoring the scene in shifts until the morning of Monday, November 3rd to ensure the fire did not rekindle.