Ballet Victoria became the subject of controversy this week when it was revealed a staff member had been investigated for allegedly taking nude photographs of students. (Black Press file photo)

B.C. ballet staffer fired in wake of sexual allegations

Bruce Monk was previously let go and rehired by Victoria company

A Ballet Victoria employee has been let go after it was revealed earlier this week that he is the subject of a lawsuit for allegedly taking nude photos of underage students in Winnipeg.

The company announced Wednesday that Bruce Monk will no longer be associated with Ballet Victoria to “ensure the integrity of the company.”

Monk came to work for Ballet Victoria in 2008 as a guest choreographer. The company then let him go when they became aware of a criminal investigation for the same allegations, and later brought him back.

“When criminal allegations were made, all involvement between Ballet Victoria and Bruce Monk was suspended,” a representative said in an email statement.

”When the investigation was concluded and no charges were forthcoming, the working relationship was resumed.”

Monk began working for the company again in late 2016 on small contracts as a lighting and production designer, and as a volunteer in the office and as a driver.

Paul Destrooper, executive director of Ballet Victoria, worked with Monk at the Royal Winnipeg Ballet for 11 years from 1990 until 2001 and was not aware of any inappropriate behaviour or allegations, according to a statement.

“Ballet Victoria cares for the physical and emotional health of all artists, staff and volunteers with great care and diligence. The entire ensemble works as a team, together in a group format and all adhere strictly to a zero tolerance policy for any harassment, bullying or discrimination of any sort,” reads the statement.

Monk was fired in 2015 by the Royal Winnipeg Ballet after the school learned he was the subject of a police investigation, but was never charged.

lauren.boothby@vicnews.com

ballet victoriabruce monk

Just Posted

Charges laid after woman’s dog dragged by her stolen vehicle

Dog dragged behind freshly stolen vehicle as it fled downtown Windermere

Motorcyclist killed in collision north of Canal Flats

A 45 year old man from the East Kootenays, died at the scene.

Business can rise this fall in the Columbia Valley

Post-secondary students and snowbirds may bolster fall, our traditional shoulder season.

Healing the big river

Photographer documents the Columbia mile by mile while chasing salmon dreams

Youth invited to virtual economic development summit for training

First Nation, Métis, Inuit and non-Indigenous applicants urged to apply for youth summit

VIDEO: Otter pups learn to swim at B.C. wildlife rescue facility

Watch Critter Care’s Nathan Wagstaffe help seven young otters go for their first dip

Canadians can travel to Hawaii in September; no quarantine with negative COVID test

Travellers will be required to pay for their own tests prior to arriving

Alberta to require masks at schools this fall, but still no mandate in B.C.

B.C. students are also set to return to classrooms in September

Anonymous letters tell Vancouver Island family their kids are too loud

Letter said the noise of kids playing in Parksville backyard is ‘unbearable’

Michael Buble among 13 British Columbians to receive Order of B.C.

Ceremony will be delayed to 2021 due to COVID-19

U.S. border communities feel loss of Canadian tourists, shoppers and friends

Restrictions on non-essential travel across the Canada-U.S. border have been in place since March 2`

Rollout of COVID-19 Alert app faces criticism over accessibility

App requires users to have Apple or Android phones made in the last five years, and a relatively new operating system

Most Read