A trailer fire in Canal Flats has reduced a young mother’s dreams to rubble.
After nearly two years of living in the unit, Danielle Soucy had officially signed the papers to make the Baillie Grohman Ave. trailer officially hers a short three weeks ago. She was waiting on her next paycheque to see about adding on house insurance.
Ms. Soucy was at home with her two young children and a couple of friends on the afternoon of Friday, March 15th. All of a sudden, she heard a loud explosion and her friend came running out of the back room where he had gone for a smoke.
“He came out of the room and he was on fire,” describes Ms. Soucy. “We were running water down to the room and it was too late.”
Everyone got out safely. However, the trailer is a total loss.
Canal Flats Fire Chief David Ferguson says the fire was human-caused.
“It went brutal-fast,” Chief Ferguson describes.
The fire quickly spread to two other homes; one has “heavy damage,” the chief describes, while the third trailer has roof damage.
The home next door to Ms. Soucy is owned by George Greenside. He says he heard an explosion and immediatley ran over to his neighbour’s home as quickly as he could to make sure the family had gotten out safely.
Mr. Greenside has a positive attitude about the fire’s damage to his home, pointing out that it only got his addition, not his original home. He is on the lookout for building materials to help rebuild. But more than that, Mr. Greenside needs fans to help dry the water out in his home so he does not end up facing a mould problem. If you can help Mr. Greenside, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ms. Soucy and her children will need to start over again from scratch. She is looking for donations, including size 3T girls clothing and 5T boys, as well as medium leggings and tops for her, though as of press time there were no details for where to drop off donations.
There is also a GoFund me page set up for the Soucy family. To donate, go to gofundme.com and search ‘Soucy Family’.
“We are greatly blessed with all the help we have received since the fire,” Ms. Soucy writes on the GoFundMe page. “Thank you everyone for your donations. Anything helps at this point in time.”