Submitted by Marius Hoofd
Farmers markets in the East Kootenay are huge weekly attractions during the summer months and part of a tradition in rural B.C. for more than a century. No matter how small or large they might be, they draw enthusiastic crowds.
Visitors to farmers markets come for the season’s best home-grown fruits, vegetables and herbs which are beautifully displayed in colourful stalls, alongside local meats, eggs, home-baked breads, buns, cakes, jams, pickles, and even delicious local honey. Some markets sell farm-fresh eggs and locally-produced meats and cheeses as well.
Farmers markets offer much more, though. You can spend a delightful hour or two browsing the displays of paintings, photography, hand-made soaps and lotions, sewing, knitting, ceramics, woodworking, glassware and more.
Here’s the valley schedule for markets:
- Windermere Agri Park Farmers Market at the Crossroads runs every Wednesday until Sept. 2 from 5 to 7:30 p.m..
- Radium Market on Main runs Fridays from June 26 to Sept. 18 from 4 to 7 p.m..
- Invermere Farmers and Artists Market runs Saturdays from June 13 to Sept. 26 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m
- Fairmont Farmers Market runs Sundays from June 28 to Aug. 30 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m..
- Spillimacheen Gardeners Market runs Saturdays in the summer. Times TBD.
- Canal Flats market runs Sundays from June 28 to Sept. 27 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m..