Submitted by Sgt. Darren Kakuno
Columbia Valley RCMP
This past week, April 1st through April 7th, the Columbia Valley RCMP responded to 59 calls for service. The following are some of the more notable files our officers responded to.
• On Monday, April 1st, a resident on Rivercrest Road in Radium Hot Springs reported his Landrover had been stolen from his residence overnight. The vehicle was recovered later in the day in Fort Steele. Police continue to investigate.
• On Monday, April 1st at 5:50 p.m., a hit and run occurred in the parking lot of a business on Laurier Street in Invermere. A witness reported seeing a black hatchback hit a Toyota then drive away. After viewing surveillance video footage police were able to identify the driver of the suspect vehicle. The driver of the black hatchback was served a violation ticket for failing to remain at the scene of an accident and driving without due care.
• On Tuesday, April 2nd at 4 p.m., Columbia Valley RCMP received a report of a transport truck passing vehicles unsafely and forcing traffic in both directions to pull to the side of the road. An officer located and stopped the suspect transport truck on Highway 93/95 near Invermere. The driver of the transport truck was served a violation ticket for passing unsafely, passing when meeting an oncoming vehicle and driving without due care.
• On Thursday, April 4th at about 4:30 p.m., police received a report of a possible impaired driver in a red Pontiac Grand Prix near Edgewater. An officer located the suspect vehicle in Edgewater and, while speaking to the driver, the officer observed signs of alcohol impairment. The driver submitted to a breath demand which resulted in a fail. As a result, the driver was served a 90-day Immediate Roadside Prohibition and his vehicle was impounded for thirty days.
• On Saturday, April 6th at 8:40 a.m., a single vehicle collision was reported on Highway 93 near Simpson River in Kootenay National Park. The driver of a red Honda Civic had lost control of her vehicle and gone into the ditch. The driver was not injured.