Submitted by Sgt. Darren Kakuno
Columbia Valley RCMP
This past week, June 24th through June 30th, the Columbia Valley RCMP responded to 88 calls for service. The following are some of the more notable files our officers responded to.
• On Monday, June 24th a liquor store in Invermere reported three incidents of shoplifting over the weekend. An officer viewed surveillance footage and was able to identify the female who was alleged to have committed the thefts. A 60-year-old female was arrested for the thefts and released on a Promise to Appear in court at a later date.
• On Tuesday, June 25th, an officer was conducting patrols in Invermere when he observed a GMC Envoy being driven by a female he knew to be a prohibited driver. The officer conducted a traffic stop and confirmed the female was prohibited from driving. The female was arrested for prohibited driving and released on a Promise to Appear in court at a later date.
• On Wednesday, June 26th, police responded to a motorcycle accident at the corner of 13th Street and 10th Avenue in Invermere. A motorcyclist was turning when his BMW motorcycle slid from under him and landed on his leg. The motorcyclist was transported to the hospital to be assessed.
• On Wednesday, June 26th a resident on Mountainview Place in Fairmont Hot Springs reported someone had stolen a set of Taylormade golf clubs from his vehicle sometime overnight.
• On Thursday, June 27th a black 2018 Jeep Wrangler was reported stolen from a residence on Lakeview Meadows in Invermere sometime overnight. The key fob for the Jeep and a wallet had been left inside the vehicle. On the same day the owner of the wallet discovered his credit card had been used in Calgary. The following morning two adult males were arrested by Calgary police in possession of the stolen Jeep. Both suspects were from Calgary.
• On Thursday, June 27th, a resident on Ledgerock Ridge in Invermere reported someone had gone through his unlocked pickup truck and stole several tools.
• On Friday, June 28th, a resident on Cantebury Close in Invermere reported someone had rummaged through her unlocked vehicle sometime overnight on June 26th and stole several gift cards.
• On Friday, June 28th, a resident at Westside Park reported someone had taken her Honda Civic for a joyride sometime overnight on June 26th. The vehicle was returned to the general area but parked it in a different spot. The owner had left her vehicle unlocked with the keys inside the car.
• On Saturday, June 29th, Columbia Valley RCMP received a report that a small sailboat had broken free of its mooring overnight on Lake Windermere near Baltac Road. The boat had a Timber Ridge sticker on the hull.
• On Saturday, June 29th at about 10 p.m., police were called to the Invermere Hostel for a male who was causing problems. Officers attended and located the intoxicated male sitting outside the hostel. The male was arrested for causing a disturbance and being intoxicated in a public place and held in cells until he was sober.
• On Sunday, June 30th at 4:30 p.m., police responded to a single vehicle collision two kilometres up the Kootenay River Forest Service Road near Canal Flats. The driver of a Kia Sorrento failed to negotiate a corner and went off the road and down an eight-foot embankment. A passenger in the back seat was taken to the hospital with minor injuries.