Submitted by Sgt. Darren Kakuno
Columbia Valley RCMP
This past week, August 12th through August 18th, the Columbia Valley RCMP responded to 95 calls for service. The following are some of the more notable files our officers responded to.
• On Tuesday, August 13th, a resident on Pine Cone Lane in Radium Hot Springs reported someone had entered her unlocked Nissan Titan sometime overnight and took documents, change and medication.
• On Tuesday, August 13th, a resident on Pedley Heights Cove in Windermere reported someone had gone through two of his vehicles sometime overnight. Both vehicles were unlocked. The owner was cautioned to lock his vehicles and remove any items of value.
• On Tuesday, August 13th, a resident on Hilltop Road in Windermere reported someone had gone through his unlocked Ford F150 and stolen $5 in change and a pair of running shoes. The owner was reminded to lock his vehicles and remove valuables.
• On Tuesday, August 13th, a Windermere resident reported her black 2014 Mercedes E350 was stolen from her residence on Timber Ridge Road at about 2 a.m. Anyone with information is asked to contact the Columbia Valley RCMP.
• On Tuesday, August 13th at about 6 p.m., police attended a single vehicle collision on Highway 93/95 near Fairmont Hot Springs. The driver of a Ford Fusion reported drifting over the shoulder and into a ditch. The driver and two passengers were taken to the hospital with minor injuries.
• On Saturday, August 17th at 12:30 a.m., police received a report of a white GMC Sierra failing to maintain its lane on 10th Avenue in Invermere. An officer located the vehicle on Westside Park Avenue and initiated an impaired driving investigation. The investigation resulted in the driver being arrested and held in cells until he was sober. The driver received a 90-day driving prohibition and his vehicle was impounded for 30 days.
• On Saturday, August 17th at 7 p.m., police responded to a collision between a motorcycle and a deer on Highway 93/95 in Windermere. The motorcyclist was travelling at highway speeds when a deer ran into him. The motorcyclist sustained an arm injury and was transported to the hospital for treatment. The deer died as a result of the impact.
• On Sunday, August 18th at about 1:30 a.m., an officer conducted a traffic stop with a white Ford pickup near 10th Avenue and 4th Street in Invermere. While speaking to the driver the officer noted liquor on the driver’s breath. The driver admitted to consuming a couple of beers during the evening. The driver submitted to a breath demand and blew a “warn” and a “fail”. The driver received a 3-day Immediate Roadside Prohibition.
• On Sunday, August 18th at about 2:30 a.m., an officer located an intoxicated adult male sitting in the parking lot of a business in Invermere. Upon speaking to the male the officer became concerned he was intoxicated to the point that he could not care for himself. The male was arrested for being intoxicated in a public place and held in cells until sober.