Submitted by Sgt. Darren Kakuno
Columbia Valley RCMP
This past week, August 19th through August 25th the Columbia Valley RCMP responded to 71 calls for service. The following are some of the more notable files our officers responded to.
• On Monday, August 19th, a stolen Ford F250 was recovered at Martin Morigeau Elementary School in Canal Flats. The truck had been reported stolen from Radium Hot Springs on August 11th. Police continue to investigate.
• On Tuesday, August 20th at 1 p.m., a male and female were observed going through unlocked vehicles in the parking lot of Kinsmen Beach. The male was described as being in his 30s with a black goatee, black hat and hoodie. The female was described as being approximately 30 years old with long red hair and pulling a fabric wagon. Police made extensive patrols but were unable to locate the suspects. No thefts from vehicles were reported during this time frame.
• On Friday, August 23rd at 1:30 a.m., an officer stopped a Ford van in Radium Hot Springs after receiving reports the driver had been causing a disturbance at a local business. The officer noted a strong odour of liquor on the driver’s breath. The driver complied with a breath demand and blew two “fails”. As a result, the driver was issued a 90-day driving prohibition and his vehicle was impounded for thirty days.
• On Saturday, August 24th at 2:15 a.m., police received a report of a male sleeping on the ground in front of a property on 7th Avenue in Invermere. When an officer made attempts to assess the male, the individual was only able to raise his middle finger for the officer. The adult male was arrested for being intoxicated in a public place and held in cells until he was sober.
• On Sunday, August 25th, vandalism was reported to a business on 7th Avenue in Invermere. A window in the front door of the business had been broken. No entry was gained to the business. Police attended and are attempting to obtain video footage.
• On Sunday, August 25th at about 10:30 p.m., Columbia Valley RCMP and East Kootenay Traffic Services conducted an impaired driving check stop at Athalmer Road and Lakeview Drive in Invermere. Officers checked approximately 75 vehicles during a two-hour time frame. Officers issued a 90-day Immediate Roadside Driving Prohibition, a 3-day Immediate Roadside Driving Prohibition and gave several warnings for vehicle deficiencies.
• Columbia Valley RCMP continue to investigate a robbery that occurred at the Kootenay Savings Credit Union in Radium Hot Springs on August 1st, 2019. Anyone with information is asked to contact the Columbia Valley RCMP or Crimestoppers.