A Mission Secondary student suffered a concussion after a lunchtime fight, but went back to class for the afternoon.

Violent student fight prompts B.C. school district to review processes

It took close to four hours to inform parents student was injured

Mission Public Schools superintendent Angus Wilson said they will be reviewing their procedures after it took almost four hours to inform a mother that her 15-year-old son had been injured in a fight.

The incident took place last Thursday (June 6) off school property during the lunch break.

According to Nicole Townsend, the injured student’s mother, the school knew about the fight at about 12:45 p.m., but she never received a call until after 4 p.m. that day.

READ MORE: Mission mom angry school didn’t inform her about fight

Townsend took her son to the emergency room and called Mission RCMP to report the incident.

While at the hospital, somebody sent a video of the fight to the victim’s phone. It showed her son taking several punches and being kicked while on the ground.

Wilson said the principal of Mission Secondary School was aware of the incident that took place, but wasn’t aware of the “scale of the incident.” He also said they investigated it right away.

While he could not get into details because of student privacy concerns, Wilson did say “if students disclose information” it would make the job much easier than if they are hard to get a hold of.

“We always review our processes to see how we can do them better. We also feel very upset when a violent incident occurs because that’s not why any of us became educators,” said Wilson.

Townsend said she feels the school failed her family by not contacting them immediately after they learned about the incident.

Wilson has met with Townsend and the mother of the other student in the fight. While no information will be released about the incident, Wilson did say they are interested in more than one student.

“When there is an incident like this, there is genuinely more than just the two actual students involved. There are bystanders and you potentially have people who are fire starters that provoke a situation and you have people filming it.”

When the video of the fight first appeared on social media, Wilson said it created a frenzy of negative comments.

“There has been a lot of people bombarding that mom with stuff which is really unfortunate. People need to be aware that their activities don’’t necessarily resolve the situation for all the young people involved.

“We need to move forward with what’s going to happen for all these young people. Whatever consequences and all that. Everybody being a keyboard warrior is not really helpful,” said Wilson.

Just Posted

Public feedback closes soon on draft Lake Windermere OCP

RDEK seeks public feedback before July 10th

Grand opening Thursday at Valley’s new rec centre

All are welcome to attend Thursday, June 27th, 6-8 p.m.

Branching out to support alternative brain research

Hundreds of cyclists ride from Panorama for the annual fundraiser event

Fawn-nabbing male caught and fined

COS follows up on reports of man walking into beer store with fawn

RCMP Report

Some of the more interesting callouts for Columbia Valley RCMP June 17th-23rd

VIDEO: Driver doing laps in busy Vancouver intersections nets charges

Toyota Camry spotted doing laps in intersection, driving towards pedestrians

Explicit sex-ed guide for adults mistakenly given to Creston elementary students

The booklet clearly states online and inside that the guide contains sexually explicit information

Driver has $240K McLaren impounded minutes after buying it in West Vancouver

Officers clocked the car travelling at 160 km/h along Highway 1 in a 90 km/h zone

Fundraiser for Sparwood cancer patient raises over $80k

“Friday was something I won’t ever forget,” said Sparwood’s Barry Marchi.

Former Vernon Judo coach pleads guilty to child pornography charges

Bryan Jeffrey McLachlan is set to return to court Sept. 4 for sentencing

B.C. Olympic skier sues Alpine Canada after coach’s sex offences

Bertrand Charest was convicted in 2017 on 37 charges

Case of missing Kootenay teen still unsolved 50 years later

Phillip Porter, age 16, disappeared near his home in Kimberley on June 26, 1969

Former Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo to retire

‘Bobby Lou’ calls it a career after 19 NHL seasons

Man charged in crash that killed B.C. pregnant woman

Frank Tessman charged for 2018 Highway 1 accident where Kelowna elementary school teacher died

Most Read