Submitted by  Sgt. Darren Kakuno
Detachment Commander
Columbia Valley RCMP

This past week, July 26 through August 2, the Columbia Valley RCMP responded to 119 calls for service. The following is a summary of some of the files our officers responded to.

•On Monday, July 26, a resident on Westridge Drive in Invermere reported his Mercury 8hp outboard motor was stolen from his boat, which was parked in front of his house. The theft occurred sometime overnight. 

•On Monday, July 26, at about 10 p.m., an officer conducted a traffic stop with a red GMC Terrain on Highway 93/95 near Windermere. The driver was discovered to be prohibited from driving in B.C., and the license plate on the vehicle had been reported stolen. The driver was issued an appearance notice to attend court at a later date in relation to driving while prohibited, no insurance and wrong number plate. 

•On Thursday, July 29, a resident on 10th Avenue in Invermere reported someone had stolen his black and white Gary Fisher mountain bike from off his deck sometime overnight. 

•On Thursday, July 29, a resident on 7th Avenue in Invermere reported someone entered his garage sometime overnight and stole a black and teal Rocky Mountain Instinct mountain bike and a red Norco Fluid mountain bike. The Rocky Mountain bike was located abandoned in Radium Hot Springs later the same week and returned to the owner. 

•On Friday, July 30, a resident on Victoria Avenue in Windermere reported someone had stolen a Rocky Mountain Edge 26” mountain bike from off their deck sometime over the previous weekend.

•On Sunday, August 1, the driver of a black Mercedes B250 reported someone had smashed her car window and stole her wallet while she was parked at a grocery store in Invermere. Residents are reminded to ensure they remove all valuables from their vehicles and to lock their vehicles and belongings. 

•On Sunday, August 1, at 10:45 p.m., Columbia Valley RCMP officers conducted a check stop on Athalmer Road in Invermere. One 3-day driving prohibition was issued after the driver of an Audi A4 blew a “warn” following a roadside breath demand. The vehicle was impounded for three days.