Submitted by Cpl. Jeff Witzke
Columbia Valley RCMP
This past week Mar. 7 through Mar. 13, the Columbia Valley RCMP responded to 65 calls for service. The following is a summary of some of the files our officers responded to.
• On Tuesday, Mar. 8 at about 7:30 a.m., Columbia Valley RCMP received a report of a suspicious motorhome in Canal Flats that was suspected of being involved in a theft of tools from a campground. Witnesses had followed the vehicle onto a rural road south of Canal Flats. RCMP officers from Columbia Valley and Kimberley Detachment converged on the motorhome and arrested two adult males and an adult female for break and enter and theft. A search of the vehicle uncovered evidence of the theft. The investigation is ongoing.
• On Wednesday, Mar. 9 at about 6:45 p.m., Columbia Valley RCMP were on patrol when they observed a vehicle being operated by a male well known to police who was aware he was a prohibited driver. A traffic stop was initiated where the driver was arrested for operating a motor vehicle while prohibited. After assessing the sobriety of the the driver, he was released from police custody and will be appearing in court at a later date.
• On Wednesday, Mar. 9 at about 9:50 p.m., Columbia Valley RCMP received a report of a vehicle fire in Fairmont. Police attended and noted that the Fire Department already had most of the fire extinguished. Fire appeared to have started in the engine bay as the front of the vehicle was destroyed. No one was injured. Thanks to the bystander for calling in the fire and the Fire department for their quick response. Fire deemed non suspicious.
• On Thursday, Mar. 10 at about 2 p.m., Columbia Valley RCMP responded to a complaint in downtown Invermere of a belligerent male arguing and getting into people’s faces over the mask mandate. This call came within an hour of BC’s Health Orders changing the mask mandate, however not taking effect until midnight. Members were on scene within minutes however, the unknown male had already left the area.
• On Saturday, Mar. 12 at about 1:30 p.m., Columbia Valley RCMP received a call regarding the location of a possible stolen golf cart. Members attended the location and confirmed the golf cart was in fact stolen and had been painted in an attempt to disguise it. While on scene, the officers also discovered two vehicles that also had been stolen. All three vehicles were recovered and the investigation is still ongoing.
• On Saturday, March 12 just after midnight, the Columbia Valley RCMP received a call from a bystander reporting an unknown male was laying down on the grass near 13th St and 8th Ave in Invermere. Police officers attended the area and located an intoxicated male, who admittedly stated he had drank way too much this evening. A ride home was provided to ensure the male made it home safe.