Submitted by Sgt. Darren Kakuno
Columbia Valley RCMP
This past week, May 24 through May 30, the Columbia Valley RCMP responded to 68 calls for service. The following is a summary of some of the files our officers responded to.
- On Wednesday, May 26, police received a report of a break and entered to a building in the 4800 block of Athalmer Road. An officer conducted a scene examination and confirmed forced entry had been made through the back door. A suspect was identified through video surveillance and arrested the following day. The adult male was released on conditions to attend court at a later date.
- On Thursday, May 27, at about 3 a.m., emergency crews responded to a commercial transport truck collision on Highway 93, approximately 6km from the Alberta border. Crews arrived to find an unoccupied commercial transport truck in the ditch. The truck was towed from the scene. The investigation into the cause of the incident is ongoing. The driver, who failed to remain at the scene, spoke to Abbotsford Police the following day and confirmed he was uninjured. The driver is also under investigation for failing to remain at the scene of an accident.
- On Friday, May 28, Columbia Valley RCMP received a report of an erratic driver in a Pontiac Vibe on Highway 93/95 near Invermere. An officer located the vehicle at a property on 13 Street in Invermere, and upon approaching the vehicle, the officer observed the driver with what was believed to be a controlled substance in his hand. The driver was arrested for possession of a controlled substance, and a search of the vehicle incidental to arrest revealed additional drug paraphernalia. The driver was issued a 24-hour driving prohibition.
- On Friday, May 28, at about 10:20 p.m., an officer conducted a traffic stop with the driver of an Audi A4 on Laurier Street in Invermere after the officer observed the driver failing to maintain its lane. The driver complied with a roadside breath demand and blew two “warns.” As a result, the driver was issued a 3-day Immediate Roadside Driving Prohibition.
- On the evening of Friday, May 28, Columbia Valley RCMP and Cranbrook Highway Patrol members conducted a road safety check on Athalmer Road in Invermere. Officers checked approximately fifty vehicles. Several warnings were issued for vehicle defects, and one 3-day Immediate Roadside Prohibition was issued.