Submitted by  Sgt. Darren Kakuno
Detachment Commander
Columbia Valley RCMP

This past week, Sept. 27 through Oct. 3, the Columbia Valley RCMP responded to 76 calls for service. The following is a summary of some of the files our officers responded to.

• On Monday, Sept. 27, at 1:45 a.m., an employee from an RV resort in Radium Hot Springs called police to report someone had just stolen a 2021 John Deere Gator from the property. The employee heard the Gator start up, but it was gone by the time the employee was able to check on it. The Gator was found abandoned near the Horsethief Forest Service Road in Radium Hot Springs on Wednesday, Sept. 29 and returned to its owner. 

• On Monday, Sept. 27, at 7 p.m., emergency crews responded to a two vehicle collision on Highway 93 in Kootenay National Park. A commercial transport truck crossed the centre line near the viewpoint, which caused an oncoming commercial transport truck to strike the trailer before driving off the road. Neither driver was seriously injured, but the collision did result in a full closure of the highway for about one hour. 

• On Tuesday, Sept. 28, the owner of a company in Radium Hot Springs reported someone had broken into two sheds and a sea can on their property sometime over the weekend. Items reported stolen included generators, propane tanks and tools. 

• On Tuesday, Sept. 28, at about 9:45 p.m., a two vehicle collision was reported on Highway 93 near the Radium Hot Springs pools. The driver of a westbound Dodge Ram pickup reported a commercial transport truck had passed him and sideswiped his truck with the transport trailer. The commercial transport truck continued westbound and has not been identified. 

• On Friday, Oct. 1, at about 2:30 p.m., Columbia Valley RCMP received a report of a possible impaired driver in a Dodge pickup on Riverview Road in Fairmont Hot Springs. An officer attended the area and spoke to the driver, who was found sitting near his vehicle. While speaking to the driver, the officer noted signs of impairment. The driver complied with a roadside breath demand and blew two “fails.” As a result, the driver received a 90-day Immediate Roadside Driving Prohibition, and his vehicle was impounded for 30-days.