After more than 65 years of community service, the Windermere Health Care Auxiliary (WHCA) is disbanding. With the help of a generous community, the Auxiliary has been able to provide care and comfort items to Columbia House and create a Palliative Care suite in the Invermere & District Hospital.
The WHCA, then known as the Windermere Hospital Aid, was formed in 1949. A group of ladies gathered in a private home to discuss projects to help raise funds to support the Lady Elizabeth Bruce Memorial Hospital. In 1959, the Windermere Hospital Aid became affiliated with the Auxiliaries Division of the BCH Association. Over the years, the membership has been as high as 56. But for the most part, active membership usually revolved around 10 to 15 ladies.
The Auxiliary is most thankful to the communities that supported our many Christmas bake sales and teas, purchased raffle tickets for our fundraising, showed up for our summer hot dog sales at Home Hardware, and took part in our golf tournaments.
The Invermere Hospital Auxiliary has graciously extended an invitation to all our members to become part of their organization. In doing so, they have given us the opportunity to continue maintaining the Palliative Care suite in the Invermere & District Hospital.
Margaret Bashnick, President
Windermere Health Care Auxiliary